This course has been specifically designed for new or experienced carers to give a broader understanding of a type of dementia an individual may have. The course involves group work, theory and personal reflections, work books and handout are issued to all candidates.
The course covers the following topics:-
- What is dementia
- Signs and symptoms of a dementia
- The most common causes of dementia
- Types of dementia
- Role of the carer
- Different stages of a dementia
- Person centred approaches
- Communication and the environment
- Behaviour issues
- Inter multi agencies
- Relatives and friends
The duration of the course is 3 hours however; this can be extended to 6 hours depending on the sensitivity of the topics covered.